PDA

View Full Version : Got an Idea

SoCalCSX
12-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Since my buggy doesnt have an engine bay to restrict me I was thinking of changing where the turbo mounts to get it away from the intake manifold, use any turbo I want, and use an external wastegate with said turbo. Keep in mind that because of my application the timing belt side will be at the rear of the vehicle and the flywheel will be facing forward. My idea is this-

Use a TBI exhasut manifold, which would be exiting toward the driver side tire
Run the exhaust around the motor to the turbo which would be relocated right around the front of the AC comp if it were there. Then I could run the intake from the turbo to an intercooler mounted on the passanger side of the car and go from there the intake manifold making kind of a halo around my motor. Here is a little drawing.........
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/LowFourDoor/layout.jpg

Let me know what you think

cordes
12-22-2006, 10:15 PM
If you don't have an engine bay to keep the heat in, and you are already running a TBI header, I probably would not go through all the trouble for that setup. you would beed bracing, an external gate, etc., which would complicate things and cost much more money while making a minimal gain IMO.

SoCalCSX
12-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I see what you're saying, but the fab part is no big deal. I'm already going to have to make custom motor mounts among other things. Also my stepdad has a t3/t4 from his buggy he would give me for dirt cheap that I could run if I do it this way. Mostly I don't like how the turbo sits right underneath the intake on the stock setup.

GLHNSLHT2
12-25-2006, 09:13 PM
I think you should have enough airflow to keep the intake free of heat. Bolt a blanket of heat shielding to the bottom of the intake and you should be more than fine. It's probably getting more heat from heat soak from the head to the runners.

turbovanmanČ
12-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Looks good, this is what SMP and the Mopar SRT boys do, :thumb:

mcsvt
12-26-2006, 10:16 AM
I'd say go for it. But why not make your own header if your going to do that much fab work anyway?

BadAssPerformance
12-26-2006, 10:52 AM
custom headers are cool ;)

SoCalCSX
12-26-2006, 03:17 PM
I'd say go for it. But why not make your own header if your going to do that much fab work anyway?

I was thinking about it. I was looking at a link I found on here where you can buy the kit, forgot what it was. We'll see when the time comes.

WVRampage
12-26-2006, 03:50 PM
yeah a custom header would be a good Idea and much beter than just using stock parts.Im sure the use out on the west coast will be different from out here but out here you would have to do something to sheild the I/C from mud and things of that nature,same with the radiator.It will be intersesting to see how this works out,im sure it will be fun to drive with all the low end power the 2.2 makes.

dds78910
12-26-2006, 04:12 PM
That is the same thing I want to do, but I want to move the throttle body to the passenger side and bring the header out the driver side.:eyebrows: